Using MckoiDB in non-GPL context

On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 07:15:50PM -0800, Tobias Downer wrote:
> You are free to alter and distribute Mckoi code, however it is legal
> only to embed and distribute Mckoi(GPL) with non-GPL compatible code
> if the non-GPL compatible code does not contain any links to Mckoi
> code (including 'com.mckoi.JDBCDriver') or any other GPL code.
> Otherwise you can enter a license agreement with us to distribute the
> software with your application.

I am now confused: can you give an example of when it would be
legal and useful to distribute Mckoi code together with non-GPL code?
I mean, if there are absolutely "no links", i.e. the JDBC driver
may not be called from the non-GPL code, would the Mckoi code be
accessible from/useful for the non-GPL piece at all?

Or did you mean: if you want to access MckoiDB from non-GPL code,
you must release yours under GPL or enter a special license agreement?

It's probably that I am not getting the "links" concept right (sorry).

Take care -