RegisterSign In
By Aris Setyawan (arissety) on Jun 9, 2010 2:10 PM.
How linear of scalability
Hi,

First, I found Mckoi database at the PolePosition benchmark, but as I know Mckoi database is a distributed database, I think that's benchmark didn't figure Mckoi database true strengths. I'm looking for distributed database with sharding/partition and found Mckoi DDB. How linear of scalability that Mckoi have benchmarked?
By Tobias Downer (toby) on Jun 9, 2010 5:26 PM.
Hi, thanks for the questions.

Mckoi SQL and MckoiDBB are completely different products. While they do share some designs internally, Mckoi SQL can only run on a single server or as an embedded system. MckoiDDB is a distributed database you run over several servers. A distributed DB has quite different performance goals, valuing throughput and concurrency over individual query latency. A benchmark must take this into account.

Database scalability is a rather fine art especially when you have a product with transactional consistency. Benchmarking distributed systems is quite tough because there are so many factors that come into play. The philosophy I've taken with MckoiDDB is to make the data model as malleable as possible so an app developer can fix bottlenecks by refactoring their data model with sharding. Sharding existing data can be done very quickly and online in MckoiDDB (it is a logical operation rather than a matter of moving huge amounts of data between servers).
Please sign in or register to post in this topic.
The text on this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License. Java is a registered trademark of Oracle and/or its affiliates.
Mckoi is Copyright © 2000 - 2019 Diehl and Associates, Inc. All rights reserved.